2 1/2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
4 tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup whole milk (3/4 cup 2% milk and 1/4 half-and-half work great as a substitute)
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
Whipped cream frosting
3 cups heavy whipping cream
5 tbsp. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, gently mix sliced strawberries and 4 tbsp. granulated sugar. Cover and place in refrigerator for at least an hour.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Place cupcake liners in 18 standard-sized muffin tins.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs at medium speed for four minutes until pale yellow and fluffy.
- Add sugar and continue beating for another four minutes or so until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and beat for another few seconds.
- In a separate medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a saucepan or in the microwave using low heat, melt the butter then add the milk and heat just until lukewarm.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients, followed by the milk and butter mixture. Beat just until combined. Batter will be fairly runny.
- Divide the batter evenly between 18 muffin cups.
- Bake for 15 – 18 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes stand in pan for 10 minutes, then remove the cupcakes from the pan and place on a wire rack. Cool completely.
- Make the whipped cream frosting. Beat the whipping cream with a stand mixer or hand mixer (affixed with the whisk attachment if you have one), until stiff peaks begin to form.
- Sprinkle in the sugar and vanilla and beat for another few seconds. Set aside.
- With a sharp serrated knife, slice off the tops of the cupcakes and set aside.
- Poke just the cupcake (not the top) five to six times with a bamboo skewer.
- Remove the strawberries from the refrigerator and spoon the liquid from the strawberries over each poked cupcake, about a teaspoon or two each.
- Spoon whipped cream over each cupcake, then, using your fingers, add a layer of sliced strawberries one by one. Carefully place the top back on the cupcake, then top with more whipped cream and more strawberries. Garnish with a tiny whole strawberry, if desired.
- Best served within two hours of assembling.